On reading Arnold.


This weekend, my assigned reading for Dr. Walker's class was Matthew Arnold.
Before we get to the serious part, let me just say that I love his work but think it the greatest misfortune that he has such an unpoetical name.

Anyway.

While reading, I began connecting to Arnold in a way that I thought I only connected to Keats in.
His poetry spoke directly to my soul and his view of love and life were so... correct.
In his essay on literary criticism, he concludes that,

'to have the sense of creative activity is the great happiness and the great proof of being alive.'

How else can I express the truth of that statement?
I read that line, stopped, thought for a second, and vowed to commit it to memory.
Pure beauty.

His poetry... I cannot even describe how it speaks to me but, it does.
I loved his poem, "The  Buried Life"
Especially in the way he described the vulnerability needed for love:

Give me thy hand, and hush awhile,
And turn those limpid eyes on mine,
And let me read there, love! thy inmost soul. 

Alas, is even love too weak
To unlock the heart, and let it speak?

Oftentimes, I feel that love is so hard for people because they are unwilling to just open up.
People don't want to appear weak and vulnerable, they don't want to show their emotions,
but in order for love to become a part of your life, your vulnerability is a necessity.

Let me read, love! thy inmost soul

I just love that line. Let me know every part of your soul. Let me soak it all in and love it all without judgement. Let me hear the pains and sorrows, the joys and cherished moments.
But if my love is not enough to unlock your heart, what ever will?

I've found my new thought--and-world-view-soul-mate.
Thank you, Matthew Arnold, for articulating the world so perfectly.

Love always,
Ems








1 comment:

Natalie said...

i like this a lot. now so motivated to read his work, thank you thank you.