Thoughts from the Week.

I don't know why, but this week, I've been thinking a lot about what I want my future to look like. I've been thinking about what I want to do after I graduate and what all the posibilites are.
Here's the honest truth. I have exactly zero desire to pursue any sort of graduate degree.
My roommates tend to gawk whenever I say that, but it's true.
I've thought about it a lot, and I just don't.

The main reason is this: I want to graduate, work while my husband finishes his graduate degree, and start a family. When that first child arrives, I want to stay home. That's all. I've never dreamed of having a big career and then starting a family or of having a career and having a family. I've only ever wanted to graduate with a degree and have a family that I'm with 24/7. I know that this irks a lot of women who feel that it's wrong to be so confined, but I don't understand why we all can't have our own separate goals. Sure, my roommates may want to go to law school, or get their masters, but I don't. I feel so amazed by women who can balance work and family life but I think it's alright that I don't want to do that. It is hard, at times, to stick to what I've always wanted. A lot fo the time, I fell like an inferior woman for "only" wanting to be a stay-at-home mom, but then I remember that a lot of the women who I admire beyond anything are "only" stay-at-home moms. Personally, I think that it is one of the greatest things a woman can do. I'm so grateful that my mom set that example for me and showed me what a blessing it is to raise children. I'm grateful for her dedication to us and her support in our dreams. I'm also really grateful that I have her to look for in my aspiration to be a mother.

So no, I don't plan on going to grad school. And I don't feel any less successful because of that.

Love always,
Ems

2 comments:

Rachel Schlappi said...

I'm with you Emma! It's hard not to think we're less of a woman because we don't want to do that, but why put all that time and money into a graduate degree to build a career when the only thing you want to do is stay at home. I still think an undergrad is a great thing, but getting a graduate degree has never appealed to me.

But I agree with what you said, we all just have different goals.

Haylee Freeman said...

AMEN! I am so excited to get my undergrad and then be a stay at home mom. It was always such a comfort knowing if I was sick in school that my mom could pick me up and I didn't have to be a kid around her schedule. Love this post! Although getting a graduate degree is a first priority for some, it just isn't for others. Love ya Em!