Sunday Poem Day.

being to timelessness as it’s to time,
love did no more begin than love will end;
where nothing is to breathe to stroll to swim
love is the air the ocean and the land


(do lovers suffer?all divinities
proudly descending put on deathful flesh:
are lovers glad?only their smallest joy’s
a universe emerging from a wish)


love is the voice under all silences,
the hope which has no opposite in fear;
the strength so strong mere force is feebleness:
the truth more first than sun more last than star


—do lovers love?why then to heaven with hell.
Whatever sages say and fools, all’s well


-e.e. cummings
-----
I adore e.e. cummings. I love his style of poetry and the way in which he somehow captures pure human emotion.

I was talking to my friend, Chad a few days ago and he was telling me about how in his Marriage and Family class, he learned that apathy, not hate, is the opposite of love. I think it's very true, and incredibly interesting to think about in the context of this poem where cummings claims that love is the most essential part of life.

Of course, I agree with cummings. Love is such a natural instinct, one of the first that a child learns as he is cared for by his mother. For me, the existence of love in life is as natural as the air I breath, or as cumming says, the air, the ocean and the land. To live without love, in any form, would be a source of torture for me, I just couldn't do it.

Go out and love someone today, won't you?

Love always,
Ems

No comments: