Books Review: Where'd you go, Bernadette?

One of the main reasons I don't like leaving the house is because I might find myself face to face with a Canadian.
-----------

I had heard a lot of hype about this book from just about every place on the internet. Usually, I'm not one for the super main stream (call me a hipster) so I was a bit hesitant to follow the crowd, but, as is normal, the crowd was right- it's an amazing book. 

I read this book on our trip through the Northwest which made it even better since it takes place in Seattle- everywhere we went I would say, "Oh, Bernadette hates that place." My family thought I was crazy, but the thing is- YOU WILL LOVE BERNADETTE. She will become your sassy, eccentric, fashionable, amazing best friend and Bee will become your sidekick. (As a side note, since I'm such a fan of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, I'm automatically a fan of girls named Bee).   Maria Semple pulls you into Bee's diligent discovery to find her mother and you are constantly cheering for her. I was quite literally fist pumping for Bee at the end of the novel, I was that into the story. 

Semple creates a world of sass and sarcasm that is perfect for any body who needs a bit of humor in their life. She moves the story along quickly without making it feel like you don't know enough about the characters- trust me, you will know plenty about Bernadette by the end. I especially loved how she chose to narrate the story through Bee's sleuthing around- it was fresh and interesting and a lovely new perspective. I was at first actually kinda leery of the new narration, but ended up really loving it! Plus, when Bee does actually speak, she's full of sass just like her mother (just another reason why you'll love her). 

So, I suggest you all hop on the bandwagon and read this book. It's a seriously funny story that will make you want to find another book like it (which I haven't found yet). 

Love always,
Ems

No comments: