Book Review: Wonder

"I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives."
-----------
The instant I finished this book, no, before I had even finished the book, I texted everyone I knew who had time for summer reading and told them they HAD to read this book. 
The second I closed it, I knew that this would be like The Fault in Our Stars-a book I would come back to over and over. 

Wonder tells the story of Auggie, a little boy with a face that is different than the normal fifth grader's. However, he's taking a big leap and attending public school this year. It turns out to be a difficult but rewarding year filled with new friends, bullies (aren't there always those bullies in life?), and lots of growing. The story is narrated through various perspective and it really adds to the way in which you connect to the story- it makes each character vulnerable and everyone equal. Even people you don't think you'll like, you end up loving and wanting to hug. 

R.J. Palacio has a gift for writing narration. I felt as though each of her characters were my friends, people I felt for, people I wanted to hug, people I wanted to stand next to, people I wanted to cheer for. Indeed, that's what I felt like the entire time, a cheerleader: "You can do it, Auggie!" "You're the kindest person alive, Summer!" "Don't give up, Via! We know you care about Auggie!!". I cheered, I laughed, I cried sobbed. I read as quickly as I read the 7th book of Harry Potter. I closed the book determined to love everyone a little bit more and be a little bit kinder to everyone I meet. Palacio definitely crafted a masterpiece of young adult literature that everyone needs to read. 

Add it to your summer reading NOW. I promise you will not regret it. 

Love always, 
Ems

1 comment:

Natalie said...

this is definitely on my list now! thank you thank you! keep em coming.